Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday morning

It’s Sunday 8:30am and I am already awake. I came to Slovakia on Friday night, free weekend that I was so looking forward to! Even if flying is really tiring, it is just so worth it, as soon as you see the faces of your family, friends, friends’ dogs, even if for few days. I met my friends yesterday. We had a meal, coffee, lots and lots of talking, laughing and discussing. I was happy, seriously.

Anyway, I was thinking lately about several things. My good friend is now in Africa, in Ethiopia on a volunteering program. To help other people who need it. And every time I read his blog (and I did that several times), I cannot stop thinking that this is something I need to do, to have a look at a different side of life, see things that you don’t normally see in “our” life. Some things are just too relative to be considered as worth to care. Why should I complain about too salty soup in the restaurant, when some people do not have any at all? Why would I care about make up and the choice of the right mascara color, if there are people, who could be happy to have a little bit of clean water every day? Why would I watch reality show, in which Barbie and Ken are arguing about the dishes? I do not have to :) And I am not saying, that things so normal for my conditions, like getting a drink if I order a drink, should be forgotten and I should not care at all because people far away have bigger problems, but maybe...maybe by thinking outside this box can give me bigger peace. Not to consider every detail as a problem, not to stress, not to construct problems, if they are not really there...rather trying to be in balance with my environment, my family, friends, nature and in general with the people around me.


Well, I am not saying that this kind of life is wrong, but it just does not make me think about people in a bigger need that often. I was thinking…what could I do, to make this difference? People have problems here as well, no matter what country you are in. I believe, that we all can help. Look around; it is not that difficult to see if your eyes are open.

Through Couchsurfing, our Darmstadt group was contacted by a guy, that was there for few days visiting a friend. The friend was working; so he appreciated somebody who could show him a town, sit for a coffee and talk. I wrote to this guy and few days after, we met. He is originally from Nigeria, living in England, visiting Germany. After the greeting, he said: “ There is something you should know. I don’t have one leg, it was a car accident”. You don’t really know, how to react in these situations. I started to ask him questions - who knows, if it was appropriate, but I was interested to know more about him. We talked a lot, he told me his story and I just felt that this person is stronger that I can possibly imagine. I noticed one thing: he wanted to talk about that! He wanted to tell me what happened, how he feels now and what are his plans for the future. After an hour, I felt like I know more than I wanted :-), but that was all right. It was all in a positive way! He thanked me several times for my time and the fact, that he could just talk about what happened. And I thanked him to let me be the part of his story, story of becoming stronger person that looks forward the future.

I am not really sure, if I wanted to use that story as an example, but my goal is to say, that everybody can make a difference. Even if being kind, having the eyes open, smile at others, talk to them, support, motivate or just help in any way needed. And I am talking about you and people around you. Nobody has to go too far to meet the problems, or sad destinies of other people. Meanwhile, support and be proud of those who have “the balls” to go to the places like Ethiopia and help there. Become a bright part of an unfortunate story with all you can afford in that minute. It can be as simple as a smile. But just do it!

I am probably going to sleep a little more, so good night and see you back in Germany!

No comments: